Microsoft released a ADK 1511 hotfix earlier this year to fix problem with network connectivity in the boot image. This hotfix provides a file (schema.dat) that you manually need to replace in your boot images, which involves 9 manual steps an a lot of typing. It took too much time to update this for the customers I work with so I wrote a PowerShell script that makes the job easy for me.
Steps required to apply hotfix manually
The ADK 1511 hotfix requires the following steps to be done manually to the boot image:
- Open Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment with administrative rights.
- Mount the boot image to a directory.
dism /mount-wim /wimfile:C:\WinPE_amd64\media\sources\boot.wim /index:1 /mountdir:C:\WinPE_amd64\mount
- Take a backup of file permissions on schema.dat in boot image.
icacls c:\WinPE_amd64\mount\Windows\System32\schema.dat /save “%temp%\AclFile”
- Take ownership of schema.dat
takeown /F c:\WinPE_amd64\mount\Windows\System32\schema.dat /A
- Give local administrator group full access to schema.dat.
- icacls c:\WinPE_amd64\mount\Windows\System32\schema.dat /grant BUILTIN\Administrators:F
- Replace the schema.dat in mounted boot image with schema.dat from ADK 1511 hotfix
xcopy “%userprofile%\Downloads\schema-x64.dat” c:\WinPE_amd64\mount\Windows\System32\schema.dat /Y
- Give TrustedInstaller ownership of the patched schema.dat
icacls c:\WinPE_amd64\mount\Windows\System32\schema.dat /setowner “NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller”
- Restore permissions on schema.dat
icacls c:\WinPE_amd64\mount\Windows\System32\ /restore “%temp%\AclFile”
I released my PowerShell script that automates these steps to the Microsoft Technet Gallery community. You can download it here: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Automate-ADK-1511-Hotfix-dda5542c
The KB3143760 hotfix applies to the following systems using Windows ADK 10 1511 boot images.
- Configuration Manager Current Branch
- Configuration Manager 2012 R2
- Configuration Manager 2012
ADK 1511 Hotfix – Howto
My Powershell script to automate the ADK 1511 hotfix is almost ready to go. But you need to change 3 variables in the script for it to work in your environment.
- $bootimage. Path to bootimage you want to apply this hotfix.
- $schema. Path to the KB3143760 hotfix file that replaces schema.dat. Either schema-x86.dat or schema-x64.dat depending on the architecture of your boot image.
- $mount. The directory that this script can mount your boot image to and perform the manual steps required by the ADK 1511 hotfix.
Important: This script requires administrative rights to run.
Remember to update your distribution points your boot image after running this script to make sure they have your newly patched boot image with the ADK 1511 hotfix included.
Download ADK 1511 hotfix, KB3143760 from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3143760