How to configure DaRT with ConfigMgr boot image. DaRT (Diagnostics Repeair Tools) is part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack and is a great tool to enable remote access into the boot image during an OS installation. Here is how you configure it in your sccm boot image.
Remote control in the boot image is useful for many reasons. It gives you ability to support users during the WinPE phase and help your users through the UDI Wizard without you being physically present at the computer. I personally love this feature during testing phase when we certify a new computer models and test a new driver packages. Someone at the customers office PXE boot a computer and select the task sequence, and I take it from there with full remote control over it. Let’s configure DaRT in our configuration manager boot image.
- Microsoft Deployment Toolkit installed and integrated with Configuration Manager.
- MSDaRT100.msi from Microsoft Dektop Optimization Pack. Download it from Software Assurance in your Microsoft Licensing portal.
Configure MDT to support DaRT
- Install the 64-bit version of MSDaRT100.msi. DaRT is part of Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft DaRT\v10
- Copy Toolsx86.cab file to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates\Distribution\Tools\x86
- Copy Toolsx64.cab file to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates\Distribution\Tools\x64
- In MDT Deployment Workbench, enable monitoring on your deployment share.
- Make sure port 9000 TCP and 9001 TCP are open in firewall between client networks and MDT server. Also remember the internal firewall on the MDT server.
Configure DaRT with ConfigMgr Boot Image
- Create new MDT Boot Image in ConfigMgr.
- Under components, select Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolkit (DaRT).
- DaRT is now enabled in the boot image and you can connect to it from deployment workbench under monitoring.
Tip: Check out Nikolaj Andersens blog on how to integrate the DaRT remote viewer into the Configuration Manager console: http://www.scconfigmgr.com/2015/05/24/integrate-dart-remote-viewer-in-configmgr-2012-r2-console/