I have seen sccm clients stuck in provisioning mode several times during OSD deployment. The typical symptoms of clients stuck in provisioning mode are:
- Client shows: client certificate none, it should be self-signed or PKI
- Client does not receive any policy
- The computer have just been installed with a task sequence.
To verify if it is actually stuck in provisioning mode we need to take a look at the registry of the client.
How to fix SCCM clients stuck in provisioning mode
- Check if the values “ProvisioningMode” and “SystemTaskExcludes” exists.
- “ProvisioningMode” should be set to ‘False’ for normal operation, or ‘True’ if they are stuck in provisioning mode.
- “SystemTaskExcludes” will be blank for normal operation, or contain various values if its stuck in provisioning mode
- .Add the folowing code in two different “Run Command Line” right after setup windows and configuration manager client.
Add these to commands to your task sequence to get around it. Note that this is a quick and dirty fix.
REG ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CCM\CcmExec /v ProvisioningMode /t REG_SZ /d false /f
REG ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CCM\CcmExec /v SystemTaskExcludes /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
Take a look at this article from Microsoft Technet for more information on the SCCM client: Understanding Configuration Manager Clients